As a JUST PEACE CHURCH, the Guilford Community Church is joining Faith Communities around the world in the Black Lives Matter Sabbath. Breonna Taylor was killed while sleeping in her bed. Ahmaud Arbury was killed while jogging. Tony McDade was killed in his neighborhood in front of frightened neighbors and witnesses. George Floyd was killed with a police officer’s knee on his neck. So many more have been killed unnecessarily. Their lives mattered. We cannot turn away from the death and devastation happening around us.
We are asking everyone to consider taking the following actions:
- Wear ALL BLACK clothes, #BlackLivesMatter and/or #ICantBreathe t-shirts in solidarity
- Bring a picture of a loved one lost to violence of any kind to lift up their memory
- Visit www.bringtheheat.info an
d make a pledge to participate in a Bring The H.E.A.T. virtual town hall or Black Lives Matter action this summer
- Commit to doing a follow up call or email to an elected official this week.
- Use #BringTheHeat hashtag when posting and include LIVE FREE handles for Facebook, Twitter and Inst
- Clergy: Perform a special prayer during your service to call for justice, transformation of a police state to a public safety system that honors black lives, and post a clip of your sermon using the hashtag #BringTheHEAT
- Will you join clergy around the country in building a circle of protection for the loved ones in your community?Every 28 hours, according to the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement report, an unarmed black person in America is killed by a police officer. We are battling a corrupted system that has criminalized Black people’s existence. Every day we are struggling just to keep the people we love alive and safe. Today, it is clear that as believers and faith leaders in our community, we must speak and act with urgency, conviction, power and love.Will you join us to Bring The H.E.A.T. in every city and state across the country to amplify the value of Black Lives?
Our hope is to amplify the need to completely abolish the current system of policing and mass incarceration in this country that disproportionately impacts Black and Brown communities, in favor of a new public safety system. In the interim, we are demanding a series of immediate and sweeping changes in order to protect the basic health, safety, and well-being of all people:
- Defund most policing functions and replace them with community-based alternatives
- Reconstruct remaining police functions to ensure community trust and legitimacy
Our leadership is critical at this moment. Will you come outside with us?
Together we can send a message that Black Lives Matter. Together we can join the millions of protestors in the streets pushing for change! Click here to make the pledges, and to learn more about how we can stand together, visit www.bringtheheat.info or text “HEAT” to 40649.